Thread: attending a Pentecostal church

Administrator

Blog Entries

attending a Pentecostal church

Have you ever attended a Pentecostal church

Was it for a regular service, special service, ect

What did you think?

HS Somphore

First time, I was a teenager and had no idea what to expect. One of my buddies wanted to date this girl, and the only way he could see her at first was to go to her church meetings. He conned me into going with him one night. When the leader said "let's pray", I bowed my head and closed my eyes like a well-trained Baptist until I noticed EVERYONE around me babbling, and when I peeked, raising their hands. Talk about culture shock!
      I've since been at a few charismatic meetings, but not full blown Pentecostals.
      Most humans have a strong desire to conform to the group. I don't say this from certainty, but I would be surprised if there weren't a lot of people attending meetings like that who mimic those around them without any true spiritual activity. I won't say that it's true of all, because I've known too many sincere and real Christians who express their faith that way. But I also can't say I've ever been in a meeting that followed the 1 Cor 14 instructions regarding interpretation, so for me that puts them in the "not quite right" category.

HS Grad

Back in the day....... We used to attend Assembly of God churches. I mean...back in the day when they actually preached. Not this new garbage. Yes, we had our differences....but back then....the stuff Baptists are afraid of.....you never saw it in the service.

Puts me in mind of a story......... Back when we lived in East Texas, our church had disbanded and there was a group of us that had no where to go. I suggested we meet and visit the AOG church in town, just for a place to go and worship until God led us somewhere. We had never been there before. Well, during the song service (which was wonderful, by the way...old hymns and southern gospel) the pastor got up and pointed to our little group (about 6 of us) and asked which one of us was the singer? OK.....the church was big enough, I know he did not hear us...and we were as frightened as a church mouse and did not sing anyway,lol, so he asks....which one of us is the singer? All of us pointed to my wife. He said that he felt God wanted her to sing a special.

Well, she got up grabbed a hymnal and sang an old hymn. I just want to say...I don't understand what happened that day. But God moved. People were touched. You could feel the presence of God. The pastor then preached one of the finest Gospel messages I have ever heard.

I guess what I am trying to say is....God is not Baptist. He can even be found in (I now an whispering) non baptist church...........shhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell the DOM.........

Administrator

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by GaryN View Post

I guess what I am trying to say is....God is not Baptist. ... Don't tell the DOM.........
      He's NOT???

Administrator

Blog Entries
      I currently attend an AOG church.
      Luke 22:31,32
      When the herd is aheadin' fer the cliff it t'ain't bad bein' a Maverick!