• Arcade

Thread: Can anyone be saved?

Administrator

Can anyone be saved?

Here is a challenged. Answer the title question giving ONLY passages
      of Scripture in context to the question (eternal salvation).

Then give your commentary!

Elemantary School

Read First Peter 1:3-9 to illustrate the answer to your inquiry. Notice that our inheritance (salvation) is addressed with 3 adjectives all coming under the guarding of the deposit by God. Further in the paragraph, Peter is sure to note that none of these "elect exiles" [ESV] have seen Jesus, yet they love him. Why? For earlier in the text God has bestowed mercy through His Son's resurrection that they should have a "living hope." Compare the idea of "hope" with the concept of something that is sincerely believed and yet not seen. For example, a person holding on to a piece of drift would in the Gulf of Mexico is HOPING rescue. When the Coast Guard finds him/her, and she is actually a part of that which she had hoped for, it is no longer hope. Same with Faith. Heb 11:1 - can't touch, feel it, only believe through the gospel that it is living truth.

If one were to continue in this same vain, just read verse 1:2 for a Trinitarian participation in the gospel of our souls - the Father purposes, the Son purchases (by appeasing the holy justice of the Father - also See John 3:36), and the Spirit regenerates the dead soul to newness of life.

The Second epistle of Peter continues with the gospel in a slightly different way -- he states that we are to DILIGENTLY to add (then their are numerous virtues, etc., that must be part of our walk. He concludes by noting to make you calling and election sure. Anyone who carelessly thinks salvation is one prayer and I'm there is a fool. We are to be discerning and constantly maturing as we learn more of our Lord and his work (See Heb 5:1-14). Also, please consider 2 Cor 13:5 and Heb 12:5ff Yes, Salvation is complete in Jesus and the resurrection but we, mere lowly humans, are wanders full of wander lust seeking to find idols of our own making between our ears in order to satisfy our need for pleasure, power, and pride. When, in all humble truth, a modicum of doubt is healthy if we are to persevere. James 1:1-2 explains that trials are to STRENGTHEN our faith.

Today's lack luster Sunday pews sitters know so little of the Word, and we pastor's are ever surprised when folks, once faithful, just slip out the door for good. Pastors, we are to teach and preach and live out, by example, the whole word of God. That requires severe sacrifices at times. Here's a closing piece of advice -- IF YOUR HANDICAP IN GOLF IS AS OR MORE IMPORTANT THAN THOSE TO WHO YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN OVERSIGHT--go to the PGA. (Oh, and I love golf).

Whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Elemantary School

Quote Originally Posted by SALTY View Post
      Here is a challenged. Answer the title question giving ONLY passages
      of Scripture in context to the question (eternal salvation).

Then give your commentary!
      - For Jeff - Whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Note that Salty asked for the passage in context and then a commentary. Are you citing Romans 10:13 or Acts 2:21? And if so, why no further statement to clarify the reception of such a great claim (serious here, no playing around). I do agree with you; however, to just cast a verse to satisfy the request is tantamount to using the proof text method. A JW or Mormon can make such loose and undefined claims. Let us be above that and use the interpretative skills to truly explain the Gospel.

Jeff, to me, your answer is not worthy of how I have read your forum responses in the past. Either explain or refrain. Teachers have a grave responsibility to uphold.

The verse speaks for itself. You are in no position to demand anything of me.

Jw's and Mormons are prone to giving long, convoluted excuses why verses don't mean what they clearly state.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
      Whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
      So you are saying that repentance is not necessary

No, that is not what I or the verse is saying.

Elemantary School

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
      No, that is not what I or the verse is saying.
      Jeff, your response is not inaccurate; however, like many today, you appear to be satisfied with word without reason.
      even Luther, before the Diet of Worms, declared that unless you can show me through Sacred Scripture and AND REASON, I cannot recant. I can do no other - here I stand. (paraphrase from Roland Bainton's book, [U][I]Here I Stand.

Without a further dialogue or explanation to a lost soul, how will they come to Christ? Peter in Acts 2 used OT citations from Joel 2, Psalm 16 to fortify his message as one that was foreordained by the Lord.

Last, Please recognize that I am not demanded, demeaning, or denigrating anything you propose as an answer. My concern is to follow Salty's request. And by the way, repentance is part of salvation -- what was the Lord's first sermon - REPENT. FAITH, REPENTANCE, AND GRACE ARE ALL GIFTS THAT REGENERATE THE DEAD SOUL TO A NEWNESS OF LIFE. {see Ephesians 2:1-9 as an example).

Therefore let us not use ad hominem distractions and just answer the thought brought before us. Tthat is what a good debate or polemic requires. Fairness without nastiness. Be well.