• Arcade

Thread: The Alter Call

Administrator

The Alter Call

Does your church offer an alter call

Is it Biblical ? Is it anti-Biblical?

Found this interesting article

Open for discussion

3,000 were saved at Pentocost - so it appears there was some kind of alter call.

My problme is when the pastor has the church sing "Just As I am" 5 x of all four verses until somone feels the call of the Holy spirit....
      My other pet peeve - is when the pastor wants the entire church at the altar.

Elemantary School

The whole idea behind the "altar" call is tradition often credited to Charles Finney -- the heterodox evangelist of the early 19th century. He also concocted the "nervous bench",
      and the seeker's room. Today, most evangelical types believe it is imperative to offer the decisional regeneration format or else how can someone believe? The Scriptures do not promote this American invention. So, HOW THEN WILL THE LOST BE SAVED? Same was as when Paul, et al, preached - they hear, the Spirit quickens, the act of faith is given, grace proceeds, sinners bear the mortality in sinning against a Holy God, and the Spirit brings conversion [okay to differ on the exact order, but...].

But also consider what an "altar" was for -- to offer sacrifices. We have been the recipients of the Lamb that was slain before the beginning!! His once atoning act of sacrificing his sinless body on the cursed tree insured our redemption as he is -- not could be, but is -- our propitiation and advocate.

But let us agree, churches can do what they want. JUST BE CLEAR TO RECIPIENTS OF THIS PROCEDURE THAT COMING FORWARD DOES NOT SAVE THEM. HOW MANY TODAY LIVE LIVES OF QUIET DESPERATION AS THEY CONTINUE TO WALLOW IN THEIR SINS THINKING ALL IS WELL BECAUSE THEY SHOOK THE PREACHER'S HAND OR FILLED OUT BILLY GRAHAM'S ALTAR CARD. AAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNN.

Nobody teaches that coming down the isle, filling out a card, or shaking the preachers hand has any part of Salvation. People may be encouraged to do these things at the time of their salvation for various reasons, but as an act of salvarion isn't one of them. Good grief.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
      Nobody teaches that coming down the isle, filling out a card, or shaking the preachers hand has any part of Salvation. People may be encouraged to do these things at the time of their salvation for various reasons, but as an act of salvarion isn't one of them. Good grief.
      I have attended churches - and that's just about the way they think. In essense the thinking is that if they come forward -it must be for salvation - so all is ok -
      I think of the time a young boy of about 7 years old came forward at a church in Virginia. I went up to counsel with him. I asked him why he came and he replied to be saved. I mentioned to him that he must repent of his sins - This young boy told me he had never sinned! - About that time, Mr. Bean came by with a decision card to be filled out. I told Mr. Bean - he did not get saved. He answered - that he did get saved because he came forward. - I would not fill out the card. This upset Mr. Bean - but I stood my ground. and yes - this is a true Story.

PS, Mr Bean is also the fella that closes his eyes when he prays - even when he is driving his car !!!