• Arcade

Thread: Should a Christian obtain a marriage license

Administrator

Should a Christian obtain a marriage license

TCassidy
      I believe government has no business in marriage. Marriage is a life-long contract between one man and one woman for one life time.

However, we live in the real world and if your state does not honor "common law' marriage it might be a good idea to get a license.

Administrator

When I requested my marriage license - one action that the town clerk took was to make sure neither one of us were currently married.
      Is that a proper action of the government?

What are some other reasons why the govt would require a marriage license?

TCassidy
      Quote Originally Posted by SALTY View Post
      When I requested my marriage license - one action that the town clerk took was to make sure neither one of us were currently married.
      Is that a proper action of the government?

What are some other reasons why the govt would require a marriage license?
      Not in my opinion. The government should not be in the marriage business at all. Up until about 1850 a marriage "license" was not necessary. Two people agreed to marry and the local parson solemnized the vows and the only record would have been in the church register and maybe a family bible.